WE’RE HIRING AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The time has come for our longtime and much-loved Executive Director, Billie Smith, to prepare to retire. Billie will be hard to replace, but we must move forward to find someone to lead Alliance of Therapy Dogs. Billie is planning to leave her position in August 2019, but we are looking for her replacement now to ensure a smooth transition.
Alliance of Therapy Dogs is a non-profit organization that provides testing, certification, registration, support, and insurance for members who volunteer with their dogs in animal-assisted activities. The organization is comprised of over 15,000 members across the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.
The Executive Director position reports directly to the Alliance of Therapy Dogs Board of Directors. The Executive Director is responsible for the strategic and operational activities of ATD and supporting the board’s activities.
A candidate for this position must possess strong interpersonal, management and organizational skills including:
- Relate to people and diffuse difficult situations
- Communicate and work effectively with people with various responsibilities (e.g., members, tester/observers, accountants, IT support, insurance company, board members)
- Manage staff including skill development, coaching in interpersonal and business skills, performance appraisal and feedback
- Build and maintain relationships with members, T/Os, facilities, the Board of Directors, and the public
- Implement, review and enhance processes as new projects and developments arise
- Liaise with the membership, tester/observers and the board during the daily operation of the business as well as to address issues that surface
- Suggest approaches and implement decisions made by the board
- Prepare for and support participation in conferences and the yearly board meeting
- Ensure that the bi-yearly renewal processes and yearly document updates are executed effectively with members and T/Os
- Manage daily operations including phone volume management, banking, and bill payment.
- Manage payroll and finances
- Manage the merchandise and office supply inventories
- Familiarity with technology (e.g., Word, Access, Internet)
Ability to learn the business and coach others regarding such topics as:
- Philosophy and rules and regulations the govern ATD
- How the organization operates and roles played by staff, management and the board (e.g. learn procedures for all committees)
- Handling dogs during ATD visits (e.g., understanding stressors, relating to those we visit, understanding facility needs)
- Knowledge of canine behavior and body language
- Advising facilities to implement their programs (e.g., nursing homes, schools, airports and more)
- Understand when to go to experts (board members) for advice.
Deliver presentations and represent ATD at conferences and meetings
45,000-$70,000, based on qualifications
The executive director position is located in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Please email your resume, along with a cover letter outlining our qualifications to email@example.com. No phone calls will be accepted.